|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Bure Navigation Canal|
This canal linking Aylsham to Coltishall was constructed between 1775 and 1778, with various later alterations. It closed in 1928.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2275 2446|
|Parish:||AYLSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|BRAMPTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|BURGH AND TUTTINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|COLTISHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|HORSTEAD WITH STANNINGHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Part of Bure Navigation, built in 1775 to avoid Burgh Mill.
Still intact in 1993, with a ruined lock at centre.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 July 1993.
Bure navigation canal opened in stages from 1775 to 1778 from Aylsham Staithe to Coltishall, partly by improving the existing river, partly by a series of parallel canals most of which have since become the main river course. Burgh Lock Cut was open by 1775. The New Cut east of Oxnead is a later addition of 1851, and Hautbois New Cut is of 1852. It was closed in 1928.
D. Gurney (NLA), 23 January 2001.
- CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LOCK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Thesis: Watts, M.E.. 2005. The Landscape of the Aylsham Navigation, Norfolk.. |
|---||Publication: Spooner, S.. 2012. Sail and Storm - the Aylsham Navigation. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Best, D.. 2001. NIAS Journal. 7, 1. pp 53-74. |
Related records - none
Find out more...