|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval moat, The Rectory|
A medieval moat is shown surrounding the rectory on an estate map of 1629 surveyed by Thomas Waterman. Part of the moat survives to the north of the rectory.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0620 9967|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pond to north of the rectory is only remnant of moated site shown on (S1) as entirely surrounding the rectory.
Information from A. Rogerson (NLA).
E. Rose (NLA) 6 May 1993.
Note; the pond mentioned is north of the present 20th century rectory. The Old Rectory is to the immediate west, in recent years part of the Agricultural Station. (S1) would need to be checked to see whether the moat surrounded the site of the former or the latter.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 March 2006.
It appears that the moat did indeed surround the present rectory, not what is now the Old Rectory. See NHER 44714.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 July 2006.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP AMU19. |
|<S1>||Map: Waterman, T.. 1629. Map of Morley St Botolph with St Peter. |
Related records - none
Find out more...