|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||London Lode watercourse|
An artificial watercourse constructed by the London Merchants in the 17th century. The drain follows the course of Silt Road and once continued into the village of Nordelph to join Popham's Eau, although this section has now been infilled.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 525 993|
|Parish:||NORDELPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|UPWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Drain, made by London Merchants in early 17th century.
Western end, where formerly crossed into Cambridgeshire, now uncertain. Follows south side of present Silt Road but water now diverted before Nordelph. Formerly continued to join Popham's Eau in present Nordelph village but this end now infilled.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 March 1993.
- DRAIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERCOURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in monograph: Silvester, R. 1993. The Drainage of the Norfolk Fens. An Historical Atlas of Norfolk. Wade-Martins, P. (ed). pp 104-105. |
Related records - none
Find out more...