|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Post medieval coins|
Three gold coins dating from the reign of James VI of Scotland found in about 1902. Several other similar coins have been found in the area since the mid 19th century, see NHER 8665.
Images - none
About 1902 ('about 90 years ago'). 
 found 3 James VI Scotland gold coins at foot of cliff just south of gap.
1. Rider 1599 wt. 5.036gms (77.6 grains).
2. Rider 1599 wt. 5.068gms (78.2 grains).
3. Sword and Sceptre 1603 wt. 5.054gms (78 grains).
(S1) in file.
One of a large scatter of mid 17th century that gives name 'California' to area.
See NHER 8661.
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM), 14 October 1992.
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN HOARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...