|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint tools, Roman and Viking brooches|
Metal detecting here in 1992 recovered a Roman trumpet-headed brooch and a Late Saxon convex disc brooch. This disc brooch was a Viking import with a lug along the edge and a broken catchplate. Subsequent metal detecting in 1997 found a single post medieval coin and fieldwalking in this area during 2006 recorded prehistoric worked flints and sherds of medieval and post medieval pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 03 42|
|Parish:||WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1992. Metal detector finds.
Roman brooch, trumpet-headed type 2nd century; remains of enamelling in centre, foot missing. (Identified by J. Davies (NCM).)
Late Saxon convex disc brooch Viking import. Jansson Type IIIc. Lug (along edge), catchplate broken. Copper alloy. (Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).)
Polaroids (S1) in file
Parallel for Late Saxon brooch in file.
Information from member of the public .
S. Margeson (NCM) 14 July 1992
1997. Remainder of field searched by group of American metal-detectorists on holiday organised by .
The only find was an Elizabeth I 3d.
Identified by member of the public .
D. Gurney (NLA) 20 October 1997.
May 2006. Fieldwalking.
Prehistoric worked flints.
Medieval and post medieval pottery sherds.
See lists and notes in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 29 November 2006.
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CORE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- TRIAL PIECE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
Related records - none
Find out more...