|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Possible Iron Age or Roman vessel, Roman brooch and medieval brooch or buckle|
A vessel foot from an Iron Age or Roman copper alloy vessel, a Roman brooch and a medieval brooch or buckle found by metal detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 67 16|
|Parish:||MIDDLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1992. In restricted area south of conduit plantation.
Copper alloy Aesica brooch; spring, pin and part of leg missing. Similar to example in (S1). Mid 1st century.
Copper alloy scabbard chape for sword, solid (5mm thick) peltate. 2nd and 3rd century.
Pin from 14th century ring brooch or buckle, with square raised panel decorated with 5 ring-and-dots, compare with example in (S2).
(S3) in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 31 March 1992.
Copper alloy scabbard chape reidentified as crescentric foot from copper alloy vessel. Iron Age or Roman.
D. Gurney (NLA) 9 March 1992.
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL? (Late Bronze Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SWORD? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1992. LFG 1-3, Iron Age/Romano British copper alloy scabbard chape.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Hattatt, R.. 1985. Iron Age and Roman brooches. no.292. |
|<S2>||Publication: Egan and Pritchard. 1991. Dress Accessories. nos.538-549. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Finds Illustration. |
Related records - none
Find out more...