Record Details

NHER Number:2886
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall Farm, Watery Lane

Summary

A fine 17th century and later two storey timber framed and colourwashed brick farmhouse with cellars and attics. The original block has been extended from the side to form an L shape. The interior has some panelling, a dog-leg stair and a fitted cupboard, all 17th century, and one 18th century panelled room.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9678 1091
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:SCARNING, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Old Hall; 17th century (Ordnance Survey). Visited 5 July 1978. Long two-storey building, brick clad, perhaps on timber frame; painted over, hiding most detail, but patchy brickwork on façade with blocked upper window. Small window in west gable wall. Rear extensions. Chimneys leaning.
E. Rose (NAU).

Listing Grade II 1984 (S1) provides more of interest: timber frame and brick. Primitive block extended from side to rear to form L-shape. Two storeys, cellar and attics. All windows modern. Gable end and axial stacks each with moulded brick bases to three former interconnecting shafts. Interior has some 17th century panelling with dentiled cornice; one 18th century panelled room with architrave; 17th century dogleg stair; 17th century fitted cupboard.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 November 1985.

Very brief visit by E.Rose (NLA) 9 July 1997 when west end only seen. The west gable stack, as described above, has ground floor fireplace with part underbuilt stopped bressumer bearing apotropaic marks M and AM, and crane holes. First floor has rounded plaster fireplace with stopped chamfer. Ground floor room has stopped spine beam with joist of late appearance resting at north end on top of large midwall rail cut by central post. Upper floor has canted wallbraces and the partition to the north is set between expanded wallposts. There is an original window, a two light ovolo mullioned opening lighting the stairs (replaced) beside the stack on north. Roof is simple `A' frame but probably original. It is said there was once an extension west of the stack with flue into it but if so this must have been an addition. What was seen does suggest a 17th century date but with proviso that midwall rail and post seem large compared to other timbers.
E.Rose (NLA), 10 July 1997.

Preliminary notes in file.

Monument Types

  • CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 91 SE 3 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. [Sale advertisement and particular for Old Hall Farm, Scarning].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 631.
---Photograph: Photographs of Old Hall Farm, Scarning. Black & white.
---Recording Form: Heywood, S. 1994. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Old Hall Farm, Watery Lane, Scarning.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Scarning.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1977. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service