|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Earthworks of deserted medieval village of Houghton, North Drive|
Part of the medieval village of Houghton, also recorded under NHER 3543. The earthworks of the village street flanked by tofts and house platforms are well preserved, and visible on the ground and on aerial photographs. The earthworks are set within a wider landscape of pre-park features including the earthworks of field boundaries and ancient trees. This part of the village may have been already abandoned when the southern half of the village was removed in the 1730s, and so the earthworks here were not levelled as thoroughly as
those nearer the hall to the south.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7935 2917|
|Parish:||HOUGHTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Earthworks of deserted village, hollow way, house platforms etc found in park around North Drive north of Hall.
Plan in file.
Further details to come.
How does this relate to the village site at the church (NHER 3543)?
Information from .
E. Rose (NLA) 4 October 1991
Earthworks showing excellent profile under grass closely cropped by deer.
H. Paterson (A&E) 9 April 1998.
12 July 1994. NLA air photography (S1).
H. Clare (NLA), 22 february 2001.
26 May 1995. NLA air photography (S2).
Slight earthworks and hollow-ways visible.
S. Massey (NLA), 4 May 2001.
(S3) notes that this is the northern end of the village of Houghton. The earthworks of the village street are well preserved, with tofts on either side, set in a wider landscape of pre-park features including former open field headlands, field boundaries and ancient trees. This part of the village once linked up with the site to the south near the church, NHER 3543. The southern part of the village was removed in the 1730s when the park expanded to the south and east. The remaining inhabitants were rehoused in New Houghton, NHER 3547. Most of the northern end of the village may have already been abandoned by this date so the earthworks were not levelled, as they were on site NHER 3543.
See (S2) and NHER 3543 for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 6 April 2006
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7929 A-X; TF ABK-ABN. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 7929AR. |
|---||Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A.. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 104. p 48. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 7929AC - AL. |
|<S2>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF7929/AM - AQ. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 286. pp55-57. |
|3543||Related to: Site of deserted medieval village of Houghton (Monument)|
|3549||Related to: St Martin's Church, Houghton (Building)|
Find out more...