|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Late Saxon disc brooch, prehistoric flints and multi-period pottery sherds|
Metal detecting and fieldwalking here in 1991 and 2002 recovered various prehistoric flint flakes, medieval and post medieval pottery sherds and a Late Saxon disc brooch with Borre style decoration.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22 21|
|Parish:||STRATTON STRAWLESS, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
January 1991. Fieldwalking and metal detecting.
Five flint flakes, and one flake with retouch. Identified by J. Wymer (NAU) 16 April 1991.
Pottery sherds including early medieval bowl, inclusive ware, Late medieval Transitional, green glazed Grimston, and two Bellarmine mask fragments.
Medieval bronze vessel ring fragment with sheet rivet (for handle attachment).
Post medieval bronze ?thumb-piece of hinged lid (as off a tankard of ?handle terminal).
Information from member of the public .
Identifications by S. Margeson (NCM) 24 January 1991.
S. Margeson (NCM), 24 January 1991.
October/November 2002. Metal detecting. At location .
Late Saxon copper disc brooch, broken, much of edge missing, concave-sided figure with each of the four corners extended to form interlaced, double contoured knots, circular sunken field in centre, pierced lug and catch-plate on reverse, approximate diameter 30mm. Borre style. 10th century. See for comparison West, 1998, 134.8.
Digital image in file.
Identified by S. Ashley (NLA).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 16 December 2002.
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...