Record Details

NHER Number:2771
Type of record:Monument
Name:Earthworks and cropmarks of enclosure, ridge and furrow and banks

Summary

Aerial photography of this area recorded linear cropmarks and banks of a possible enclosure. Earthworks of this survive today, as do ridge and furrow marks and strip fields adjoining.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9935 0903
Map Sheet:TF90NE
Parish:WESTFIELD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
WHINBURGH AND WESTFIELD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

January 1966.
Mounds and ditches reported by J. Webb.
NCM records.

Before 1976.
NAU aerial photography shows linear cropmarks and banks, with possible enclosure.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 July 1980.

Area of site extended from RAF aerial photograph to include ridge and furrow and apparent strip fields adjoining. Landowner in 1992 states former is still visible on ground.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 January 1991.

1996. Visit to ascertain suitability for an earthwork survey. Varying grass height, will wait for autumn.
Owner produced sherds of pottery that had been found at around 12 inches (30cm) depth whilst digging a hole for tree planting, near to a probable building platform. The precise position will be recorded at time of earthwork survey.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA).
Eight body, one bowl rim, fresh largish sherds. 98g. medieval.
B. Cushion (NLA), June 1996.

Fields to north under pasture, grazed or cut for hay. Earthworks showing well under short winter grass. To south fields under arable.
H. Paterson (NLA), 4 March 1998.

Site visited after complaint from parish council that damage had been caused to the earthworks. Works in question were a new drive to the house constructed with planning consent, which might have impinged upon the extreme north end of two of the ditches, but no real damage done.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 October 2004.

Visit. December 2003.
Visited to meet new owners, following a report from Edwin Rose that a new drive had been constructed. The previous drive which had been disused for several years, had been gravelled on the original surface and the gate reinstated. No damage had been caused to the earthworks. The site is to be divided into paddocks for grazing of horses, disturbance will be minimal.
H. Paterson (A&E), 13 December 2004.

July 2011. Field visit.
Most of the mapped area is under grass, where the earthworks are slight but in good condition. The remaining part of the mapped area is part of the garden of Meadow Farm House, as shown on (S1). A stable has been built within this garden; it is not shown on (S1) and presumably has been built since 2004. (S2) shows garden part of the mapped area as grassland with some earthworks; it appears the garden has been extended into this area and over some earthworks since 1946.
D. Robertson (HES), 2 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
  • DITCH (Unknown date)
  • ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
  • MOUND (Unknown date)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Unit AP's TF 9908A-B, RAF 3g/TUD/UK/52/part III no 5104.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. MasterMap.
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. RAF AP 1946. Temporary reference - full reference to be located.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service