Record Details

NHER Number:2711
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Chapel, Hilborough

Summary

The ruins of the medieval chapel of St Margaret, which was founded as a free chapel and was later used by pilgrims on their way to the shrine at Walsingham. The chapel was dissolved in the Reformation. Earthworks associated with the chapel are visible on aerial photographs.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8233 0064
Map Sheet:TF80SW
Parish:HILBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1975. Ordnance Survey air photography.
Earthworks associated with ruins of St Margarets Chapel.
D. Voisey (NLA) 28 February 1995.

Ruins of St Margaret's Chapel, ivy covered walls in meadow.
Submitted for scheduling but not accepted.
R.R. Clarke (NCM)

(S1) states it was a free chapel, later a Walsingham Chapel.
(S2) calls it St Mary's. 7 Paces wide, 12 paces long, rough ruins of one south window, one west window, south door, possible west bellcote.
E. Rose (NAU) 1980.

Listed grade II 1985 in (S3) as 'ruined walls, flint and some brick'.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 April 1986.

See extract from (S4) in file, giving a slightly different description than Martin and says it was founded around 1209 and dissolved at the Reformation.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 July 1998.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8003A-C.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF3154.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-143.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-144.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 80 SW 3.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 400.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hilborough.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of South Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XII. p 106.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1740.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S4>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service