|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Neolithic axehead, Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds, post medieval hinge|
In 1959 a small chipped flint axehead and two scrapers were recovered from this area. In 1989 a small number of Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds were also recovered, as well as a post medieval hinge.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 82 08|
|Parish:||SWAFFHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Small chipped flint axehead and two scrapers.
In NCM. 
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Finds on building site January 1989.
One flint blade. One Thetford-type (Late Saxon) base with square roulette decoration. One possible Thetford-type (Late Saxon) base. Nine medieval unglazed. Three glazed Grimston (medieval) sherds.
Compiled by A. Rogerson (NAU), 7 March 1989.
Post medieval hinge plate bearing resemblance to Middle Saxon/Late Saxon dress fastener. Circular plate with two pierced lobes and H-shaped lug opposite, broken.
See finder's sketch drawing (S1) in file.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
Compiled by A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 May 1993.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Swaffham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
Related records - none
Find out more...