|Type of record:||Building|
Carrow House was constructed in 1861, on the older site of Carrow Abbey (NHER 296). The house was extended in 1895, a conservatory added and a trapezoidal garden made in 1908. Extensions to the house, made around 1890, may have been by Boardman. The house has wood carving by James Minns, high quality internal decoration, and a conservatory with Art Nouveau stained glass and tessellated floors by Boulton and Paul. There are First and Second World War memorials to Colmans employees who served in the forces or who died during bombing raids.
Outside, there were geometric gardens, with glass houses to the northeast which may have been connected with the Colmans factory. There were pasture and tree belts to the south. Ornamental gardens were laid out on the Priory site by 1887, though much of the land is now built over by a factory.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 240 074|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1986. Former house and conservatory, dated 1861 and 1895 on plaques. 1861 wood- carving by James Minns. Brick with slate roof. West facade:- 2 storeys. Symmetrical 4-bay facade to left. 4 bay addition set back to right. The 2 central bays of the left-hand facade project forward with pediment and occuli and paired pilasters. Sash windows throughout with simple raised surrounds. Paired end pilasters. Bracket cornice and low parapet. Flat-topped hipped roof with decorative ironwork balustrading and 2 dormers with segmental pedi- ments. The 4-bay addition has an off-centre doorway with Doric surround. C20 single-storey addition to the left of the doorway. Single-storey projecting bay to right. Sash windows throughout. Bracket cornice and low parapet. Dormers with segmental pediments. High quality internal detail from both periods including the east room of the 1861 block:- Full height timber fire- place with paired spiral columns and scroll consoles supporting the mantel shelf. Large central mirror flanked by paired pilasters having carved bird and branch motifs and central roundels with carved projecting heads. Ceramic shields above the capitals and a carved over-mirror. Ornate plasterwork ceiling in a geometric design, Large conservatory south of the house:- 1895. Timber and cast-iron construction by Boulton and Paul of Norwich.
See (S1) for details,
H. White, (NLA), 6 October 2009
Carrow House constructed 1860 on older site.
Road that bounded grounds on south, now represented by a wall, removed in 1860. Geometric gardens made; glass houses to northeast may have been connected with Colmans factory; pasture and tree belts to south. House extended 1895, conservatory added and trapezoidal garden made in 1908. Gardens altered in 1920s. Gardens to east and northeast now only represented by walk on top of embankment, cut on east by new road. Carrow Priory does not seem to have had a house on the site of the ruins until early 19th century but ornamental gardens laid out by 1887. Extensions perhaps by Boardman around 1890. Much of land now built over by factory. A pets' cemetery remains, also a decayed summerhouse.
Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey grade II*.
See survey for details.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 21 July 1998.
Description of house revised and attached conservatory upgraded to II*.
House is 1861 and 1895, wood carving by James Minns a famous carver. High quality internal decoration. Conservatory with Art Nouveau stained glass, tessellated floors, etc, by Boulton and Paul (Norwich manufacturers).
E. Rose (NLA), 31 August 2004.
Museum reopened after extensive repairs to the roof.
See (S2) and (S3) for details
H. White, (NLA), 6 October 2009
The interior contains an important group of war memorials.
D. Gurney (HES), 22 December 2010.
War memorials in good condition. See digital photographs.
For the installation of the First World War memorial see (S7).
D. Gurney (HES), 18 June 2014.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 2050 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- CONSERVATORY (Modern - 1908 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Concern over Colman offices. 14 March. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Part of historic site to be sold off. 13 March. |
|<S4>||Website: UKNIWM. 2010. http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/. |
|<S5>||Unpublished document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Norwich. pp 16-18. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. City costumes and textiles taken out of hibernation. 29 September. |
|<S7>||Publication: 1922. Carrow Works' War Memorial. |
|MNO9700||Related to: Conservatory attached to Carrow House King Street NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...