|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Tower Mill Restaurant, Boughton Road|
A tall five floor brick tower mill, built in about 1870 on the site of an earlier mill and raised by two floors in 1900. It was derelict by 1936, but, together with the adjoining granary, was restored for use as a restaurant in 1982. Much of the internal machinery survives.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7014 0049|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
9 March 1976. Visit.
Old windmill. Very tall brick tower of tower mill, set in angle of L-shaped mill buildings. All now derelict.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 March 1976.
Marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
No This is a mistake for NHER 18022. This mill was marked on Bryant 1826 (S2) and rebuilt 1870, last worked by wind 1924 and by steam to 1933. Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.
(S3) says mill was actually rebuilt in 1860s, sails blown off 1895 (March 24th) and not replaced until 1900 when two floors added. Derelict by 1936 with only one pair sails but no fan; in November sails fell off onto house. 1950 attempt to pull over tower with tractor failed. 1982 restored as restaurant including adjoining granary.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 June 1982.
All the machinery above the ground floor remains awaiting restoration. Information from J. Lawn, Millwright.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1985.
December 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Tower mill, now part of restaurant. c.1870 of 5 floors, raised by 2 further floors c.1900, restored 1980. Brick. Entrance in south. Numerous renewed windows all under segmental arches in no coherent disposition. Original ogee cap replaced by polygonal glazed observation room. All machinery survives from brake wheel to great spur wheel…"
Information from (S4).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
E. Rose (NAU). Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.
Press cuttings (S3) and (S5) to (S8) in file.
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Built in the 1860s. 14 June. |
|<S4>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342353. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Sale advertisement for Tower Mill Restaurant, Stoke Ferry]. 18 April. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. [Photograph of Tower Mill, Stoke Ferry]. 9 January. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993-1996. [Sale advertisements for Tower Mill, Stoke Ferry]. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1996. Homes that tower above the rest (sale advertisement). 8 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...