|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Chapel|
Constructed in 1835 of red brick, St Mary's chapel was made to serve Oxburgh Hall, whose grounds it stands within. Built in Gothic Revival style, the beauty of the chapel is in the understated nature of its exterior, which stands in sharp contrast to the romantic Hall, which underwent renovation during the same period. Inside, the beautiful Antwerp triptych, built in the 19th century from various 16th century pieces, dominates the small chapel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7414 0127|
|Parish:||OXBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
25 May 1978. Site visit.
Built in 1835, red and white brick Gothic Revival style, said to be by Pugin, the architect responsible for the reconstruction of Oxburgh Hall during the same period, but poor for him if it is. Contains Antwerp retable of around 1525, 17th century foreign stalls, two Flemish or French communion rails, one of which is in the gallery, medieval and 16th century English and foreign stained glass. 19th century monuments, two hatchments. Roof in poor state.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 May 1978.
The building is said in (S1) to have been constructed of bricks removed from demolished cottages in the village. The bricks are certainly old, some seem late medieval, but the number may suggest that some came from parts of the Hall during restoration.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1982.
6 October 1993. NLA air photography.
Chapel to be clearly seen in most of photographs.
H. Clare, 1 February 2001.
Listed grade II*.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 December 1985.
Church is various described as 'The Roman Catholic Church at Oxburgh', 'St Mary's Church', 'Church of the Immaculate Conception and St Margaret' (S2), 'Church of St Margaret and Our Lady' (S3) and 'Our Lady and St Margaret' (S4).
Fillery-Travis, R (NLA), November 2006
For detailed descriptions of the foreign woodwork (and a reredos now used as a mantelpiece in the Hall itself) see (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 12 April 2007.
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRIPTYCH (RELIGIOUS) (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF 7401/ ABU, ABX-ACA. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TF 7401ACJ - ACN, ACT - ACU. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TF 7401ADQ - AEC. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 7401ACB - ACH; TF 7300R - S. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 70 SW 36 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: National Trust Guide To Oxburgh Hall. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Website: Knott, S.. 2005. Oxburgh Hall chapel of St Margaret and Our Lady, Oxborough. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/oxboroughhall/oxboroughhall.htm. 24 November 2006. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 583-584. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Tracey, C.. 2001. Continental church furniture in England: a traffic in piety.. pp 154-5. pp 121, 131. |
Related records - none
Find out more...