|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Stephen's Gate|
This medieval gate used to stand at the junction of St Stephen's Street, Stephen's Road, Chapelfield Road and Queen's Road. It was also known as Needham Gate, Nedham and Nedeham Gate. The gate was demolished in 1793 but excavations here in 1964 revealed the foundations.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22819 08030|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Junction of St Stephen's Street, Stephen's Road, Chapelfield Road and Queen's Road.
Also known as 'Needham Gate, Nedham, Nedeham Gate'.
1285. Grant of land 'at the gate of Nedham' see (S1).
1964. While excavating for su
bway at junction of St Stephen's, Queen's Road and Chapelfield, foundations of St Stephen's Gate were revealed.
- GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 100.18 . |
|<S1>||Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 11-14. |
|Site 856||Parent of: Queens Road (Monument)|
|Site 511||Parent of: St Stephen's Gate (Monument)|
|Mon 329||Parent of: St Stephen's Gate (Monument)|
|384||Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)|
|Mon 1099||Part of: St Stephen's Street (Monument)|
Find out more...