|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Giles Gate, Newport Gate|
This medieval gate stood at the junction of St Giles Street, Chapelfield Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Grapes Hill. It was also known as Newport Gate. Sadly, it was demolished in 1792 but in 1970 part of the stone gate socket was identified on the wall at this point.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22433 08575|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Junction of St Giles Street, Chapelfield Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Grapes Hill.
Also known as 'Port.S.Egidii' and Newport Gate.
Gate was demolished in 1792.
E. B. Green (NCM).
Stone found built into/onto city wall at about 0.9-1.2m (3ft/4ft) from surface of road.
Suggested as gate socket.
Held by NCM.
- GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 15-16. |
|Mon 327||Parent of: St Giles Gate (Monument)|
|Mon 1480||Part of: Bethel Street, Over Newport (Monument)|
|Mon 1415||Part of: City Walls - Between St Benedict's and St Giles's Gates (Monument)|
|384||Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)|
Find out more...