|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Shirehall, Market Avenue|
The Assize Court here was built in 1822-23 by William Wilkins and was later refaced in 1913. It is made from red brick with stone dressings in a Neo-Tudor style. Of the nine bays the central one projects while the two end bays are recessed. A string course exists at first floor level and there is a moulded cornice beneath the castellated parapet.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23252 08549|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Crown Court. 1822-23 by William Wilkins, refaced in 1913. Red brick with stone dressings. Roof not visible. Neo-Tudor: two storeys, nine bays arranged: 1:1:2:1:2:1:1, the centre bay projects and the end bays recessed. Central entry. Bays defined by turret. String course at first floor. Moulded cornice beneath castellated parapet with small gables above outer door bays.
See Department of Environment List of Buildings for more details.
See copy of reference (S1) in file which refers to two new wings being added in 1846, suggesting Wilkins alone was not responsible for appearance of the building.
Reproduction stone plaque of 'Norfolk Nick' reinstated on the back wall of the Shirehall.
See (S2) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 19 August 2009
- COURT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1822 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: 21 March 184. Norfolk Chronicle. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Stone face of Norfolk Nick back in its rightful place.. 19 August. |
|Mon 539||Parent of: Castle Motte Ditch (Ditch 10) (Monument)|
|Mon 1469||Parent of: Shire Hall, Market Avenue (Monument)|
|429||Part of: Norwich Castle, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Monument)|
|MNO8847||Related to: Shire House (formerly listed as Shire Hall) Market Avenue NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...