Record Details

NHER Number:26108
Type of record:Building
Name:24 Gentleman's Walk

Summary

This house is now part of the entrance to the shopping arcade here. It dates to the mid 19th century with an early 20th century ground floor. It has four storeys and two bays and the arcaded ground floor has a double-entrance. There are French windows at first floor level with fluted Corinthian pilasters and columns supporting an architrave and balconies with iron-work railings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 22993 08479
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Former house now entrance to shopping arcade. Mid 19th century with early 20th century ground floor by G. Skipper. -
Rendered. Roof not visible. Four storeys, two bays. Arcaded ground floor with double-entry having rusticated semi-circular arches on tapering polygonal columns. Shop window in left side of arch. French windows at first floor with fluted corinthian pilasters and columns supporting architrave and balconies with iron-work railings. Tall second floor casement windows with balcony supported on brackets and pulvinated frieze with flat hood supported on consoles. Casement windows at third floor. Parapet.
Information from (S1).
See also (S2).

Was this not the King's Head Inn?
E. Rose (NLA).

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis.

Related records

Site 1700Parent of: 2-11 Royal Arcade (Monument)
Site 1701Parent of: 2-11 Royal Arcade (Monument)
Site 1060Parent of: 23-24 Gentleman's Walk (Monument)
Mon 1074Part of: Le Nether Rowe (Gentlemans Walk) (Monument)
26009Part of: Royal Arcade (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service