|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Refectory, East Ward and part of Master's House, Great Hospital|
This is the site of the refectory of the Great Hospital, built in the 15th century and later in flint with brick dressings. This area also contains the cross passage and former service wing, all of which has now been converted to offices. There is a projecting 16th century porch to the cross-passage on the left, and a small wooden Tudor arch in the right side which has decorated spandrels.
The interior of the refectory has a large chimney-breast adjoining the north aisle of infirmary hall, and there is a gallery over the cross-passage with a crown-post roof with dragons in the spandrels of the arch braces under the tie beam.
This area also includes the East Wards, also now converted to meeting rooms, which were built in the 1820s. These were built of yellow brick, with a slate roof and two brick end chimneys and one ridge chimneystack.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2372 0906|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Refectory and part of former Master's House at the Great Hospital.
Refectory, cross passage and former service wing with Master's accommodation above, now offices. 15th century and later flint with brick dressings; pantile roof; red brick end chimney (rebuilt)to right. Hall to right has three two-light windows with transome and Y tracery. Brickwork and spacing of windows probably indicates position of former side chimney. Projecting 16th century porch to cross-passage on left, refronted in 19th century brick with diagonal buttresses, has one first-floor window with Y tracery. Small wooden Tudor arch in right side has decorated spandrels; blocked window above. Gable-fronted cross-wing, also refronted in 19th century brick and rendered above, has two-light ground-floor window and a three-light first-floor window with intersecting tracery, both with leaded lights. Rear elevation facing cloister (NHER 26113) has two three-light perpendicular windows flanked by small 19th century windows with Y tracery. Interior of refectory has large chimney-breast adjoining north aisle of infirmary hall; gallery over cross-passage, crown-post roof with dragons in spandrels of arch braces under tie beam, porch has roll-moulded ceiling beams and cross passage has three four-centred arches (one blocked) with drip moulds to former services. Moulded and stopped door-cask to Master's office.
Also listed here:
East Wards at The Great Hospital.
Wards, now meeting rooms etc. 1820s. Yellow brick; slate roof; two brick end chimneys and one ridge stack. Single storey eight-window range, symmetrical. Central blind recess with drip mould is flanked by Tudor style four-light casements also with hood moulds arranged 1:2:2:1. Ribbed double-leaf doors deeply recessed in projecting porches with pediments to right and left, Plain parapet with central pediment.
Information from (S1).
Bell of 1547 preserved here (see site NHER 624)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1300 AD to 2050 AD)
- REFECTORY (Medieval - 1400 AD to 1539 AD)
- INFIRMARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. The Norwich 12. 2 February. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|624||Part of: Precinct of the Great Hospital (Monument)|
Find out more...