|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||69 The Close|
A 17th century brick and stone former house, now a school office, with a timber framed right-hand first floor and a pantile roof. It is built against the east end of the Carnary Chapel (NHER 26082) and has a central door with a pilaster surround with lion mask roundels, flanked by two 20th century mullioned windows and a long frieze window to the right.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23394 08908|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
69 The Close.
Former house, now school office. 17th century and earlier. Brick with stone dressings. Timber framed right-hand first floor. Pantile roof. Built against the east end of the Carnary Chapel. Central door with pilaster surround having lion mask roundels. Flanking 20th century mullion and transom windows. Long six-light frieze window to right. Two 20th century mullion and transom windows at first floor in timber frame section. Gable dormer with four-light window. The south elevation has two sash windows to each floor, plus one mullion and transom attic window and a Dutch gable.
Information from (S1).
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 223-224. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051314. |
|Mon 265||Parent of: 69 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 420||Parent of: 69 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1913||Parent of: 69 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1865||Parent of: 69, The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...