|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Emmaus House, 65 The Close|
A medieval and 16th century two storey building, formerly part of the monastic infirmary, now offices, with 18th and 19th century brick extensions. The ground floor is of flint and brick, the first floor timber framed with mathematical tiles. To the left is a fine panelled door and surround with a porch supported on Tuscan columns.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23485 08794|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Formerly part of an Infirmarer's house, now office.
Medieval and 16th century with 18th and 19th century extensions.
Flint and brick ground floor. Timber framed above with mathematical tiles. Brick extensions. Pantile roof. Two storeys, first floor jettied. Single storey 19th century rear extension. Six closely spaced first floor windows, plus one 18th century bay to left.
Fine panelled door and surround to left with porch supported on thin 'Tuscan' columns. Four sash windows at ground floor and seven sash windows at first floor. Moulded timber buttoned ground floor ceiling.
Information from (S1).
See evaluatory survey in file for NHER 26522 which includes note of an undercroft that may have extended under this building.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 December 1999.
There is also a separate evaluation report (S2) filed under this number (NHER 26079) for this specific building.
See also NHER 26581 (NAU Reports 631 to 2)
D. Gurney (NLA), 11 December 2001.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 582. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2002. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2001. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 162-177. p 171. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Gilchrist, R.. 2000. Archaeological Assessment for Number 65, The Close. |
|Site 1912||Parent of: 64-65 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 262||Parent of: 65 The Close (Infirmarer's House) (Monument)|
|Mon 261||Parent of: 65 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 2714||Parent of: 65 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 418||Parent of: 65, The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|226||Part of: The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity (Norwich Cathedral) (Building)|
Find out more...