Record Details

NHER Number:26075
Type of record:Building
Name:Deanery, Priors Hall, The Close

Summary

A former Deanery, originally the Prior's Lodging, now subdivided. It dates to the 13th century with 16th and 17th century and later remodelling and additions. Construction is of flint and brick rubble with stone and some brick dressings. The roof is of pantile. The south façade is in three parts. The left part is two storeys high with an attic. The centre part has a hipped gable-fronted projecting wing with chequered work with brick dressings. The right part has a hipped gable-front extension to a cross wing with a stepped gable on the left.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23537 08848
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Former Deanery, originally the Prior's Lodging, now subdivided.
13th century with 16th, 17th century and later remodelling and additions. Flint and brick rubble with stone and some brick dressings. Pantile roof. South façade in three parts:
Left part: two storeys and attic.
Centre part: Hipped gable-fronted projecting wing has chequered work with brick dressings.
Right part: Hipped gable-front extension to cross wing with stepped gable left.
Red brick façade with rubble side walls.
Rear elevation has two two-light late 13th century windows on ground floor and four first floor sashes.
Mid 16th century Rennaissance carved overmantel in the library.
See file for further details.

Information from (S1).

May to July 1994. NAU survey.
Archaeological survey of the west face of the Deanery garden wall recorded early and later medieval masonry, and post dissolution reconstruction and adaptation.
See report (S2) in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 12 February 2001.

For description of the painted beams here see (S3).

This building began life as the Priors Hall in 1284; it became the Deanery and fittings are marked with arms etc dating to 1529 to 1628. Suckling added a passage to the Dark Entry. In 1660 to 4 the hall was divided in two and gables added. Stairs and an orangery came in 1765 to 90.
In 1829 the new road to the south transept removed Suckling's passage, the house was turned round and the northeast wing removed; the prior's hall became a kitchen and scullery but was restored to a sitting room in 1927 and to a meeting room in 1950. There is a large wine cellar. (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 26 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • DEANERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DEANERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Heywood S. (HES). 1998. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Deanery, Priors Hall.
---Article in serial: Whitingham, A. 1980. The Deanery, Norwich. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 p 314.
---Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1995. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1994. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt II pp 230-239. p 235.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: NAU. 1994. NAU Survey Report No. 109: The Deanery, Cathedral Close, Norwich..
<S3>Article in serial: Fox, G. E. 1892. A Note on the Discovery of Painted Beams at the Deanery, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XI pp 179-181.
<S4>Article in monograph: Atherton, I. 1996. The Close. Norwich Cathedral: Church, City and Diocese, 1096-1996. Atherton, I. et al (eds). pp 634-664. pp 657-658.

Related records

Site 1877Parent of: The Deanery (Monument)
Mon 1292Parent of: The Deanery, Priors Halle, The Close (Monument)
Site 1866Parent of: The Deanery, The Close (Monument)
Site 2717Parent of: The Deanery, The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)
226Part of: The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity (Norwich Cathedral) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service