Record Details

NHER Number:26073
Type of record:Building
Name:51 to 55 The Close.

Summary

Originally a 13th century granary, the only remaining part of which is some arcading at the rear of number 55, this is a range of flint and brick houses set back from the street line and dating from the 15th century onwards, with later rebuilding, additions and alterations. Number 53 was completely rebuilt after collapsing in the late 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23612 08850
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Former granary and granarians house, now divided into two houses. 13th century arcading rear of number 55. 15th century onwards rebuilding and alterations. Long range set back from street line.

Number 51. Flint with brick dressing. Three storeys. 19th century single storey addition to right. Large fireplace on east gable with stone jambs.
Number 52. Two storey plus semi-basement. Three bays. Flint with red brick window surrounds and blocking. Pantile roof.
Number 53. Late 19th century rebuild. Flint with stone window surrounds. Plain tiles. Three storeys.
Numbers 54 and 55. Flint with brick dressings. Pantile roof. Three storeys. Scattered fenestration.
Number 55 has arch braces springing from wall posts set into the wall.
See file for further details.

Information from (S1).

See brief report in file by source [1] who doubts whether the whole range was a granary, on the evidence of the roof timbers. He states number 52 has a 15th century roof and was open to this roof at first floor level. Altered in 18th and 19th centuries. Moulded stonework in rear wall doorway is 17th century reset.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 1994.

Monument Types

  • GRANARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey.
---Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records

Mon 257Parent of: 51-55 The Close (Monument)
Site 413Parent of: 51-55 The Close (Monument)
Mon 258Parent of: 51-55 The Close (The Granary) (Monument)
Site 1853Parent of: 55, The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service