|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||49 Hook's Walk, The Close|
A 14th to early 15th century single storey range, heightened to two storeys and virtually rebuilt in about 1600, then amended later. The current house has irregularly spaced sash windows and off-centre door with fluted pilasters. Over the door is a blocked niche.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23661 08863|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
House. 14th/15th century single-storey block rebuilt and raised in the 16th and 17th centuries. Flint and brick with some brick blocking. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Four irregularly spaced first floor windows.
Left-hand off-centre door with fluted pilasters and plain architrave with guttae band. Small hood with mutule. Blocked niche above door. Horizontal sash windows with vertical glazing bars in brick reveals at ground floor.
One horizontal and three sash windows with vertical glazing bars at first floor. Brick saw-tooth cornice.
Two gabled dormers with three-light casements and bargeboards.
Information from (S1).
1981. Norwich Survey.
Medieval single storey block, altered and raised. Rear and front walls altered in about 1580 to 1600. Internal arrangements appear 17th century.
T.E. Miller (NLA), 14 July 2004.
- HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1350 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|Mon 255||Parent of: 49 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 411||Parent of: 49 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1903||Parent of: 49 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1880||Parent of: 49, The Close (Gardeners Chequer) (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...