|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||43 and 44 The Close.|
A pair of late 17th century three storey brick houses, possibly built against the precinct wall, with 18th and 19th century extensions and alterations, plus an extension to the left and three Dutch gables. Number 43 has a 19th century porch with trellis work. A crenellated parapet on the left has JHK 1679 in iron, referring to James and Katherine Hobart.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23661 08979|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Houses. Late 17th century with 18th and 19th century extensions and alterations. Red brick with burnt headers. Pantile roof. (Built against precinct wall?). Three storeys, four bays, plus two bay extension to left. Number 43 has a 19th century porch with trellis work. Sash windows throughout with segmental arches. Sash windows in left extension with glazing bars and rubbed brick flat arches. Three Dutch gables. Crenellated parapet on left 'JHK' in iron for James and Katherine Hobart 1670.
Information from (S1).
August 2008. Building survey of number 44.
(S2) states that the gable is dated 1730, not 1670 as previously reported. On the north side of the building a flint wall runs behind the main wall.
See (S2) for details,
H. White, (NLA), 7 April 2010
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1650 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Ash, M, Brown, M and Brown, S. 2008. NHBG report. Building survey of 44 The Close, Norwich. |
|Mon 253||Parent of: 43 and 44 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 407||Parent of: 43 and 44 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1900||Parent of: 44 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 230||Parent of: Precinct Wall, The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...