|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||34 The Close|
A 17th century flint, brick and stone house with an 18th century two storey extension to the north and a single storey 19th century front extension. The house incorporates the remains of the medieval priory brewhouse, and a medieval buttress can be seen at the junction of the 18th and 19th century extensions.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23640 08823|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Formerly part of brewhouse, now house. 17th century with 18th century alterations, incorporating medieval brewhouse. 19th century single storey front extension. Flint with brick dressings. Stone dressings. Pantile roof. Pantile roof on 19th century extension. L-shape plan. Two storeys plus attic. Single storey extension to the left of projecting bay. Hipped roof. 18th century two-storey extension to north of former brewhouse. One bay. Flint ground floor with brick first floor.
Medieval buttress at junction of 18th and 19th century extensions and coinciding stone quoins on rear walls.
See (S1) in file for further details.
Information from (S2).
Structurally unsound chimney to be demolished and rebuilt to engineer's specification.
See (S3) for further details
H. White (NLA), 16 June 2009
- BREWERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Unpublished document: Listed Building Consent. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Thomas, P.. 2009. Design and Access Statement, 34 The Close, Norwich. |
|Mon 247||Parent of: 34 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 400||Parent of: 34 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1895||Parent of: 34 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 245||Parent of: Brewhouse, 34 The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...