Record Details

NHER Number:26059
Type of record:Building
Name:31 The Close

Summary

A two storey double pile house of the 17th century, with later additions and alterations, incorporating the remains of a late medieval priory brewhouse. The house was extended forward in the early 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23655 08803
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Formerly part of brew-house, now house. 17th century. Extended forwards in the early 19th century. Incorporating medieval remains in the junction with numbers 32 and 33. Red brick. Flat roof over extension.
Pantile roof over 17th century block. Set back from the street line and adjoining the rear of numbers 32 and 33.
Two storeys, three sashes at first floor.
Single storey, single bay 20th century extension to right.
Right-hand off centre door with fanlight and two attached Ionic columns supporting plain architrave and flat hood.
Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and simple moulded surrounds.
Large 'buttress' at extreme right and fragment of a medieval wall.
Parapet.Three gabled dormers in 17th century roof.
Large ground floor arch in dividing wall with number 33.
Information from (S1).

1981. Norwich Survey.
Two storey double pile block of 17th century incorporating remains of late medieval block covered by an early 19th century red brick fa├žade.
See (S2) in file, which includes (S3).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 14 July 2004.

Monument Types

  • BREWERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S3>Illustration: Unknown. Sketch plan of finds site.. Film.

Related records

Mon 246Parent of: 31 The Close (Monument)
Site 399Parent of: 31 The Close (Monument)
Site 1892Parent of: 31 The Close (Monument)
Mon 245Parent of: Brewhouse, 34 The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service