|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||28 The Close|
An attractively strange two storey painted brick house, presenting an early 19th century single window bay gabled front to the street. The doorway, with a reeded surround and corner roundels, is to the left in the return wall. To the rear is a small 17th century range. All of this is wrapped around the west gable of number 27.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23707 08791|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former use unknown, now house. Early 19th and 17th century; painted brick. Pantile roof. At right-angles to street and wrapped around the gable of number 27. Single bay gable front to street: two storeys. Ground floor casement window moulded surround and three-centre arch. Sash window above with glazing bars and simple surround.
Doorway with reeded surround and corner roundels to left in left-hand return wall. 19th century mullion and transom window above door.
Information from (S1).
1981. Norwich Survey.
Strange house made up of small 17th century back range, single room two storey front and connecting stair hall/passage all wrapped around the west gable end of number 27.
Front 18th/19th century.
See (S2) in file.
T.E. Miller (NLA),7 July 2004.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|Site 1889||Parent of: 28 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 870||Parent of: 28 The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...