|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||10 to 12 The Close|
A row of three 18th century three storey red brick houses and office, with sash windows and central panelled doors under semi-circular fanlights. Inside number 12 is a 16th century spine wall and a large 16th century first floor window.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23586 08772|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
House and office. 18th century with 16th century spine wall.
Red brick and pantile roof. Three houses each of three storeys and three bays.The centre house is recessed. Central panelled doors. Wide surrounds with narrow panels on outside with consoles and flat hoods. Semi-circular fanlights. Sash windows throughout with rubbed brick flat arches. Two string courses between ground and first floors with balustrading between central window. Modillion cornice. The spine wall inside number 12 has a blocked 16th century window visible from the present cellar stairs. At first floor a large 16th century window with evidence for transom and lozenge mullions.
Information from (S1).
 states that he believes the spine well may be part of a house built out of the ruins of St Mary in the Marsh (NHER 585).
E.Rose (NLA), 10 November 1999.
Proposed internal alterations to insert a new doorway off the rear hall.
See photographs and plans in file
H. White (NLA), 5 Masy 2009.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 228. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1280248. |
|Mon 237||Parent of: 10-12 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 387||Parent of: 10-12 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 747||Parent of: St Mary in the Marsh Church (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...