Record Details

NHER Number:26046
Type of record:Building
Name:8 and 9 The Close

Summary

A pair of late 18th century red brick houses with sash windows, three storey high with a semi-basement and a pantile roof.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23563 08770
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Pair of houses. Late 18th century. Red brick with pantile roof.
Each house has three storeys plus semi-basement and three bays. Narrow passageway bay on extreme left.
Panelled door in outer bay with pilasters and simple architrave. Semi-circular fanlight with Adam style tracery.
Steps down with simple iron-work railings. Plain door with sash windows above in passage bay. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and rubbed brick flat arches.
Modillion cornice.
Information from (S1).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records

Mon 1296Parent of: 7-8 The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service