Record Details

NHER Number:26044
Type of record:Building
Name:6 The Close

Summary

Built against the precinct wall, this is a large L-shaped flint and brick house, two storeys high with attics and two shaped gables side by side facing toward the cathedral. Two more gables are further back at right-angles facing east, where there is a projecting stair turret with a 17th century staircase. Entrance in the west façade is through a fine early 16th century door. Most of the interior fittings are 18th century, including nice ground floor library fittings and panelling. The fireplace, possibly moved from number 66, is from about 1600 and the cellar from the 17th century. The present complexity of the building makes interpretation difficult, but it probably started out as a late medieval two storey range, re-ordered in the 17th and 18th centuries and then completely remodelled in the 20th century. Listed Grade II*. The garden wall and gate piers in front of the building are of 17th- to 19th-century date and listed Grade II.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23468 08736
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

No 6 The Close.

1954. Listed Grade II*.
Listing Description:
House. 16th century with 17th- and 18th-century additions and alterations. Flint and brick. Pantile roof. L-shape plan with projecting stair turret. Built against precinct wall. Two storeys plus attics. Door in west façade. Good timber door surround in outbuildings to west of house with Renaissance detail.
North façade: two bays. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars. Two Dutch gables. The right hand bay represents an 18th-century addition.
East façade: three irregularly spaced first floor windows. Stair turret and parallel block to extreme left. Two large sash windows with glazing bars and side lights. 20th-century casement and one mullion and transom window to the left with sash windows above. Mullion and transom windows and two small Dutch gables to stair turret. 17th-century stairs in turret. Fireplace with moulded jambs and bases in west room. Good 18th-century library fittings.
Information from (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 October 2017.

1972. Additional elements Listed Grade II.
Listing Description:
Garden wall and gate piers in front of No 6. 17th, 18th and 19th century. Flint, brick and rubble. The east end of the wall has 12 semi-circular blind arches on its north face with brick-on-edge imposts. Half-round coping-bricks. 18th-century and 19th-century alterations and extensions to the west including two gate piers surmounted by two badly weathered stone urns.
Information from (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 16 October 2017.

1981. Norwich Survey.
Possibly two storey late medieval range, re-ordered 17th/18th century and totally transformed in 20th century.
Cellar 17th century?
See (S2).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 7 July 2004.

See copy of ground floor plan in file (from A. Carter archive).
P. Watkins (HES), 16 October 2017.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 228.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1051335 and 1280245.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.

Related records

Mon 236Parent of: 6 The Close (Monument)
Site 384Parent of: 6 The Close (Monument)
Site 1933Parent of: 6 The Close (Monument)
Site 2369Parent of: 6 The Close (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service