|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Precinct Wall, The Close|
The precinct wall to Cathedral Close dates back to the 13th century, though there has been much 18th and 19th century rebuilding. It is generally of brick, flint and rubble, with tiled coping, and survives in sections around the precinct (NHER 377).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23650 08885|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Precinct wall to Cathedral Close.
13th century and later with much 18th and 19th century rebuilding. Brick, flint and rubble with tiled coping.
See (S1) for details of extant portions.
In 1891 Walter Rye complained that the precinct wall in Bishopgate had been demolished in order to build 'vulgar cottages'.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 January 2001.
- PRECINCT WALL (12th Century to 21st Century - 1200 AD? to 2100 AD)
- PRIORY (12th Century to 21st Century - 1200 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 224-225. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051331. |
|Mon 1459||Parent of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|Mon 230||Parent of: Precinct Wall, The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
Find out more...