|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bishop Salmon's Porch, The Close|
The remaining two storey stone east porch of Bishop Salmon's Palace, which was built in the early 14th century and demolished in the 17th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23500 09018|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Porch to former hall. Early 14th century (1325). Stone, two storeys, the top storey partly ruinous. Two open bays.
East façade: two centre arch having two orders of grouped mouldings and damaged attached shafts with foliated capitals. Flanking statue niches. Two-light window above arch with side blind arches.
Steep arches north and south openings with two orders of grouped mouldings on attached shafts with foliated capitals; ogee-headed niche to left and right of west doorway. Tierceron vaulting with carved bosses.
Remains of heavy blind arcading over west archway.
Information from (S1).
See schedule (S2), press cutting (S3) and report (S4) in file
Scheduled monument consent granted regarding the consolidation of cracked masonary to the north- east buttress and pinning a detached portion of moulding of the north jamb of the east entrance.
H. White (NLA) 22 January 2009
Scheduled monument consent granted regarding the consolidation of the east elevation stonework.
See (S6) for further details
H. White (NLA) 9 January 2008
Added to the English Heritage buildings at risk register.
See (S7) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 13 April 2010
- BISHOPS PALACE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1325 AD to 1676 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1325 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Renn, D. F. 1960. The Anglo-Norman Keep, 1066-1138. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Vol XXIII, pp 1-23. |
|---||Article in serial: Whittingham, A. B. 1951. Report of the Summer Meeting of the Institute at Norwich, 1949. Part II. Norwich: Cathedral, Churches, and Religious and Charitable Foundations: The Monastic Buildings of Norwich Cathedral, and the Bishop's Palace. The Archaeological Journal. Vol CVI pp 86-87. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduling Report. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Evening News. 1989. 6 November. |
|<S4>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S5>||Scheduling record: DCMS. 2007. Scheduled Monument Consent. |
|<S6>||Scheduling record: DCMS. 2008. Scheduled Monument Consent. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Several newcomers to heritage at risk register. 10 July. |
|Site 377||Parent of: Bishop Salmon's Porch, The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 1233||Parent of: Bishop's Palace, The Close (Late Saxon occupation) (Monument)|
|377||Parent of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Parent of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|Mon 228||Parent of: Porch of Bishop Salmon's Hall (Monument)|
|MNO8088||Related to: Bishop Salmon's Porch The Close NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...