Record Details

NHER Number:26036
Type of record:Building
Name:Bishop Renold's Chapel, The Close

Summary

A late 17th century stone former chapel, now a library, with a small doorway on the extreme right, over which is a weathered coat of arms. It has re-used 14th century windows, possibly from Bishop Salmon's chapel that stood to the south.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23492 08987
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Former chapel now library; 1661 to 1676; stone with plain tile roof.
North elevation: two bays, small door at extreme right with moulded two-centre arch and plain spandrels.
Badly weathered coat of arms above doorway. Re-used three-light windows with reticulated tracery and attached shafts with foliated capitals on jambs and mullions.

Information from (S1).

Reverend Armstrong in his Diary for 26 June 1857 said that the chapel had stucco work, Grecian ornament and a huge royal arms on the ceiling.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 August 1997.

The reused 14th century windows are suggested as coming from Bishop Salmon's chapel that stood to the south. (S2).
E. Rose, 19 December 2000.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Article in monograph: Woodman, F. 1996. The Gothic Campaigns. Norwich Cathedral: Church, City and Diocese, 1096-1996. Atherton, I. et al (eds). pp 158-196. p 178.

Related records

Mon 227Parent of: Bishop Renold's Chapel, The Close (Monument)
Site 376Parent of: Bishop Renold's Chapel, The Close (Monument)
Mon 228Parent of: Porch of Bishop Salmon's Hall (Monument)
Mon 1223Part of: 9 Davey Place (Monument)
377Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)
Mon 1459Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)
226Part of: The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity (Norwich Cathedral) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service