Record Details

NHER Number:26024
Type of record:Building
Name:Birbeck Hall, Great Hospital

Summary

Birbeck Hall was built in 1901 by E. Boardman, on the site of the medieval kitchens and brewhouse of the Great Hospital (NHER 624). This red brick and flint building has red brick and stone details and a pantile roof, and contains fragments of the medieval fabric from the previous buildings. The south bay adjoins the passage arch of Chaplain's house (NHER 26105), and has a Tudor-style arch bearing the date 1901. The Hall is considered to be a good example of Victorian/Edwardian Gothic Revival architecture.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23711 09066
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Birbeck Hall, Great Hospital, Bishopgate.

Hall 1901 by E. Boardman and including fragments of medieval fabric. Flint and red brick with red brick dressings and stone details, pantile roof. Two brick end chimneys, five bays defined by buttresses. South bay adjoins passage arch of Chaplain's house (NHER 26105) with Tudor-style arch bearing date 1901, in spandrels. Tall two-light mullioned and transomed windows. Stepped brick gables. Medieval masonry in buttresses on east side.
Information from (S1).

Situated on site of medieval kitchens and brewhouse (S2).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KITCHEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ASSEMBLY HALL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. The Norwich 12. 2 February.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South..

Related records

624Part of: Precinct of the Great Hospital (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service