|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Former Master's House, Great Hospital|
The former Master's House is situated between the Cloisters (NHER 26113) and the Refectory (NHER 26088), and as such the parts that make up this building are split in the listing between those sites, this one, and NHER 26093.
This section has now been turned into flats, though it originally dates to the 15th century. Constructed of brick rubble this two storey building has a pantile roof and scattered windows. There is a small Tudor-arched plank door with decorated spandrels to the left, and a rib-vaulted chamber to the right forming a through passage to the Cloisters (NHER 26113).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23727 09049|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Part of former Master's House at The Great Hospital on the north side of the cloister, now flats.
15th century and later. Pointed and brick rubble; pantile roof, two storeys. Scattered fenestration, one first floor wooden casement with leaded lights. Five and six-light ground floor windows have moulded mullions and transoms under chamfered and stopped lintels. Small Tudor-arched plank door with decorated spandrels to left, six panelled door to right. Two bay rib-vaulted chamber to right forming a through passage to cloister. 15th century door blocked in red brick in cloister.
Information from (S1).
- HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. The Norwich 12. 2 February. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|624||Part of: Precinct of the Great Hospital (Monument)|
Find out more...