|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval drainage pump|
A post medieval drainage pump associated with Ferry Mill Drain was located here. A steam-powered engine replaced it in 1842 and this engine later converted to using oil. It was demolished in 1994. To the north, a second oil-powered pump was installed in 1924. This pump is now disused having been replaced by an electric pump across the road.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6124 9321|
|Parish:||SOUTHERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Drainage pump. Formerly a windmill as shown on (S1), at which time drain known as Ferry Mill Drain. Replaced by steam engine 1842 (now called Engine Drain). Later converted to oil. To north a second pump (oil) installed 1924 Now disused and replaced by electric pump across road.
E. Rose (NAU) 1980.
Photograph at Stretham Old Engine museum, Cambridgshire, notes that the building had Headley and Hawthorn engines from 1842 to 1917 and was demolished in 1994.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 April 2003.
(S3) adds the original scoop wheel was replaced in 1881 by one made by James Watt and Co, photograph in (S4). After 1917 a Crossley Premier oil engine was installed in the truncated house but was disused by 1940. The building was destroyed by vandals in 1994. The separate diesel engine was a Mirrlees Bickerton and Day driving a Gwynnes pump. After electrification this was sold to a private collector.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 October 2004.
This building was seen in passing by . It remains as a large Victorian building of coloured brick. It is currently empty but apparently being converted to domestic use.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 December 2009.
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1847 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1980. NIAS Journal. Vol II, No 5. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, pp 100-101.. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Crocker, E.. 1913. The Drainage of the River Ouse Basin.. Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers. p 823.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...