|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Botolph's Chapel|
Sources indicate that a chapel to St Botolph was present in this parish, surviving into the medieval period. It is possible that this chapel is the same one sources record being granted to Wililam Warde in 1549. The exact location of this chapel is uncertain, though sources mention an old house, the last in the village on the road to Outwell, which appears to have previously been a chapel. Other possible locations include NHER 25845 and NHER 34743.
Images - none
|Parish:||UPWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mentioned as existing in medieval period.
Possibly the same as a chapel granted to William Warde in 1549. (S1) mentions an old house, the last in the village on the road to Outwell, near Pius Drove and the bridge, which appears to have been a chapel.
This may be a confusion with site NHER 25845.
Information from Cambridgeshire SMR, their number 07316, transferred to Norfolk 1990.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 September 1990.
See also site NHER 34743.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: 1953. The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 4. p 212. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VII. p 470. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Watson, W.. 1827. An Historical Account of the Town and Port of Wisbech in the Isle of Ely.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...