|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval masonry at Rose Cottage, Church End|
In 1986 fragments of medieval ecclesiastical masonry were found during the digging of foundations here. The masonry took the form of large tracery fragments and part of a Norman roll moulding. These may relate to the manorial chapel in the parish (see NHER 11959) or the parish church (NHER 2210).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 4710 1324|
|Parish:||WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1986. Found in excavating foundations for bow window, at depth of 76cm (2.5ft).
Fragments of ecclesiastical masonry.
Photograph in file shows large tracery fragments, perhaps 14th century, and what appears to be part of a Norman roll moulding.
Informant connects these with the record of a manorial chapel in the parish (see NHER 11959) but they seem rather grand for this and may have come from the parish church (NHER 2210) during alterations.
Fragments penes landowner.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 December 1989.
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|11959||Related to: Possible medieval manorial site (Monument)|
|2210||Related to: St Mary's Church, West Walton (Building)|
Find out more...