|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Tottenhill church|
Although Tottenhill has been in the West Briggs ecclesiastical parish for many centuries, it is thought that originally it had its own parish church during the medieval period. The exact site of this church is however unknown.
Images - none
|Parish:||TOTTENHILL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of church. West Briggs church in Wormegay civil parish has served as parish church to Tottenhill for several centuries, but it is clear that there was once a separate church for Tottenhill as in 1397 a clergyman was presented to that parish and a different man presented to West Briggs. Site unknown, probably near Tottenhill Row. (S1)
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 10 July 1989.
Anonymous report via NCM that the blocks of cottages forming Tottenhill Row have reused stone in their west walls. Is this connected with the church? Needs checking on site.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 September 1991.
Latter paragraph is probably a mistake for site NHER 36196; however, it is unlikely that the stone comes from the church. Blomefield states Tottenhill was always a hamlet of West Briggs parish and the rector of the latter was also vicar of Tottenhill.
See discussion under NHER 36196.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 June 2001.
- CHURCH? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Monograph: Silvester, R. J. 1988. The Fenland Project Number 3: Marshland and Nar Valley, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 45. |
Related records - none
Find out more...