|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||40 and 41 Upper Street|
A large early 17th century plastered timber framed building, now subdivided, number 41 being the original parlour end.This was built onto an original hall house of about 1400, which was then used as a service wing until later alterations took place.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 14230 85660|
|Parish:||GISSING, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Formerly known as Old Post Office/Corner House/Uwunda.
One building. Large timber framed house.
Number 41 is parlour end of three storey early 17th century building.
Number 40 probably remainder of same date but not seen internally.
See report (S1), part one, in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 April 1989.
Stripping of building in 2004 revealed remnants of hallhouse of about 1400 which had once stood to the northwest; present building of about 1600 was built on to this and used it as a service wing. Altered further at a later date.
See (S1) part two, in file. (S2) in file. (S3).
See also (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 April 2004.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1992. LWQ 1-4, Medieval seal matrix.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 754. |
Related records - none
Find out more...