Record Details

NHER Number:24937
Type of record:Building
Name:The Grange, Lynn Road


Set in five acres of landscaped gardens with frontage onto the River Nar, this is a handsome late 18th or early 19th century brick country house, once home to Lord Evershed, Master of the Rolls. The south front is three storeys high with a central columned doorway under a pedimented fanlight. To the right of this is a 19th century two storey canted bay. On the west façade is a similar bay, this time to the full height of the house. Later additions are to the north.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6369 1324
Map Sheet:TF61SW

Full description

Country House, brick with slate roof.
South front three storeys (top smaller) in three bays.
Central door with pedimented fanlight on engaged columns. Sash windows, skewback arches, scalloped hoods.
19th century canted bay on two storeys right of door.
Parapet hides hipped roof. Two symmetrical stacks on rear roof slope.

West façade of one bay with 18th and 19th century extensions to left.
Porticoed doorway, one sash window on each floor above. Full height 19th century canted bay added to left.

Information from listing grade II (S1) which dates house as late 18th century.
Sale advertisement November 1988 dates as early 19th century. See file for newspaper advertisement (S1). Further press cuttings (S3) to (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 November 1988.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1988. Eastern Daily Press. 18 November.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1990. Lynn News. 12 July.
<S4>Newspaper Article: 1995. Lynn News. 24 February.
<S5>Newspaper Article: 1995. Lynn News. 24 February.
<S6>Newspaper Article: 1995. Lynn News. 7 July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service