Record Details

NHER Number:2477
Type of record:Monument
Name:Cropmarks of possible ring ditches and Roman field system

Summary

Aerial photographs from the 1940s recorded cropmarks of ring ditches and a possible barrow in this area. Multiple linear and curvilinear features appear on later aerial photographs, and probably represent a Roman field system. Fragments of Roman pottery and briquetage from salt production have also been found on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 503 951
Map Sheet:TL59NW
Parish:UPWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
WELNEY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1956/7.
Cropmarks - Roman fields?
St Joseph aerial photographs (copy (S1)).
NB the cropmarks as drawn on (S2) do not correspond with the marks seen on unit aerial photographs.

1 July 1976. Ordnance Survey air photography. Site extended to Chestnut Farm.
Positive cropmarks.
Multiple linear curvilinear features.
The features in the south field are almost certainly Roman as they fit in with the layout visible to the southwest (NHER 2477). However the other two fields, particularly the northern most one show cropmarks that may be of a more recent origin.
D. Voisey (NLA), 27 February 1995.

4 August 1977.
Unit aerial photographs greatly extend area - runs on into Cambs.
J.E. Bown (NAU) 8 October 1980.

Pre 1946. Context 1 at 5038 9521.
Small barrow claimed at 52 32' 6" N: 13' 7" E.
See (S3) (calls 'Welney').
Ring ditches also claimed (haystack mounds?).
Checked by E. Rose (NAU); originally NCM cards by R.R. Clarke (NCM).
E. Rose (NAU).

No trace of barrow in ploughed field.
A.J. Lawson (NAU) 6 August 1978

20 April 1978. Surface find at grid ref TL 5045 9510.
Small scatter of 2nd to 4th century grey ware, coarse red gritted ware and briquetage.
Found by Ordnance Survey Inspector 'PAS'.
Information from (S4).
E. Rose (NAU) 28 February 1980.

TF 5045 9510 over an area of about 40.0m in diameter.
The sherds occurred at about 3 per sq.metre.
See (S4).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 22 February 1990

October-November. Trial trenching.
The evaluation located the remains of post-medieval (17th or 18th century) pasture field system, which is likely to have been a pre-enclosure field system. Two ditches running north-south within the area were dated from artefacts to at least the 17th century. Stake holes along the base of the ditches indicate that the fields were enclosed. It is possible that these enclosures were used to hold grazing cattle in the drier summer months.
See (S5) for further details.
S. Howard (NLA), 5 November 2009.

Monument Types

  • RING DITCH (Unknown date)
  • SETTLEMENT (Unknown date)
  • RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SALT WORKS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (C17-C18, Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1799 AD?)
  • STOCK ENCLOSURE (C17-C18, Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1799 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • BRIQUETAGE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Unit TL5095 D-M, St. Joseph UP58, BFP 2, OS 76/126 295-96, RAF/1634/1221.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 76-126-296.
---Aerial Photograph: OS 76-126-297.
---Monograph: Phillips, C.W.. 1970. The Fenland in Roman Times.. p 235.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Upwell.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Upwell.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Map: NCM. NCM Record Map.
<S3>Article in serial: Riley. 1946. Antiquity. Antiquity. Vol XX, no.79 p 153.
<S4>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S5>Unpublished document: Atkins, R., Crummy, N., Fletcher, C., Fosberry, R.. 2008. Oxford Archaeology East Report No. 1065. Post-medieval pasture field system at Pates Farm, near Tipps End, Welney.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service