Record Details

NHER Number:2453
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ristuna deserted medieval settlement


The site of the village of Ristuna, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the Nomina Villarum of 1316. Records state that the village was granted Black Death relief in 1352 but was depopulated by the 18th century. No buildings remain today, but east of the church are earthworks of a hollow way, ridge and furrow cultivation and possible house platforms.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 621 016
Map Sheet:TF60SW

Full description

R. R Clarke (NCM) indicated this as the approximate site of the Domesday (S1) vill of Ristuna, which was also mentioned in (S2), was granted Black Death relief in 1352, and which was called depopulated by (S3). Indeed to north of road opposite church are remains of banks and ditches under pasture. The church is on a hillock, and below this in the park to south two banks under pasture run down the hill.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 February 1977.

28 July 1983, 23 February 1989. NAU Air Photography.
Traces of ridge and furrow clearly visible south and east of church.
(See TF 6201 H to L inclusive)
D.A. Edwards (NAU), 22 December 1983.

These are the earthworks noted above, with larger linear depressions dividing them; no trace on aerial photographs of actual deserted medieval settlement earthworks.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 January 1984.

July 1986.
D.A. Edwards (NAU) reports the ridge and furrow destroyed by ploughing and land turned over to beet.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 July 1986.

February 1987. R.J. Silvester (NAU) reports this is definitely a mistake, all ridge and furrow and a hollow way still there as above.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 February 1987.

Confirmation of report in 1987 by R. Silvester (NAU) that earthworks remain under pasture. East of church hollow way, ridge and furrow and possible house platforms noted. In grounds of Ryston Hall, further earthworks, though these less prominent.
H. Paterson (NLA) 22 March 1996.

1996. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000 of area adjacent to the church on north-west edge of Ryston Park.
Late Saxon sherd found.
See report (S4) for plan and further details. This site is amongst those included in (S5) and the survey is also noted in (S6).
B.Cushion (NLA), May 1996.

22 July 1996. NLA air photography.
Ridge and furrow visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 4 December 2001.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CAUSEWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6201 A-E,G,H,L,P-R,AB-AD,AG-AJ,AK,AL.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 6201AP, AQ.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 SW 2 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Ryston.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum.
<S3>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
<S4>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1996. Ryston SMR2453. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S5>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 204.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1997. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1996. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt IV pp 547-564. p 558.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service