|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Metal detecting in 1987 and 2004 recovered a Late Saxon Ringerike style copper alloy brooch in the form of a bird with tendril on its beak, as well as an Iron Age coin, a possible Roman ring, a Middle or Late Saxon strap end and a medieval casket fitting.
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
December 1987. Found with metal detector. 
Copper alloy brooch in form of bird, with tendril on beak. Ringerike style, 11th century.
Now in NCM. 
Polaroid NCM. For comparison see (S1).
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM), compiled by W. Milligan (NCM), 15 January 1988.
See finds illustration in file (S2).
June-July 2004. Metal-detecting.
1 Iron Age coin.
1 ?Roman ring.
1 Middle-Late Saxon strap end.
1 medieval casket fitting.
Coins identified by A. Marsden (NLA), and other objects by S. Ashley (NLA). See description in file.
E. Darch (NLA), 16 August 2004.
Updated by J. Page (HES), 26 February 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- RING (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- STRAP END (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CASKET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Illustration: White, S.. Unknown. Drawing of Late Saxon bird brooch. 2:1. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Margeson, S. 1988. A Bird-Shaped Brooch from Stoke Holy Cross. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XL Pt II pp 199-200. |
Related records - none
Find out more...