|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Worked flints, Neolithic to medieval pottery sherds, medieval brick and tile|
Fieldwalking in 1988 and 1990 noted a general scatter of prehistoric flints, Neolithic, Iron Age, Roman, possibly Late Saxon and medieval pottery fragments and a spread of late medieval brick and tile.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6522 1113|
|Parish:||WORMEGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
29 January 1988. Field northwest of West Briggs church. Fenland fieldwalking, good conditions, well weathered soil, no crop.
Context 1 general scatter of worked flints and medieval pot across field.
No obvious concentrations, not even close to church. Few pot boilers in southwest next to field boundary. WGY BQ. Plus two possible Iron Age fragments.
Context 2 at 6520 1103 sparse spread of black gritty pottery, mainly Iron Age? But possibly the odd Roman sherd. No real concentrations of material. 48m northwest to southeast by 25m northeast to southwest at 11.3m OD; could spread further west. Ground here too boggy to be walked. WGY 20. Also one Neolithic sherd; F Healy (NAU).
R. Silvester (NAU), 29 January 1988.
1990. Context 3 at TF 6528 1093.
Spread of late medieval brick and peg tile; Roman sherds.
1 possible Late Saxon sherd further west (part of /c.1).
See plan in file. .
E. Rose (NAU).
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY 20. FENS. |
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY BQ. FENS. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...