Record Details

NHER Number:24085
Type of record:Building
Name:Meadow Farm House, Emery's Lane, Hanworth

Summary

A 16th century flint and brick house, which was probably originally timber framed. The house has alterations dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The farm has a ruined 16th century barn and a number of mid 18th century farm buildings including a large brick barn.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 196 360
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:HANWORTH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

House with flint gable walls and returns suggesting former timber frame. East gable possibly 16th century, taller west gable 17th century, as are visible beams at west end. Facade replaced in brick in mid 18th century, the building being heightened as a change of plan during the works; catslide rear extension and west wing added. 19th century alterations.
Ruined barn, possibly 16th century.
Grand brick barn of 1744.
Other 18th century farm buildings.
See report (S1) for further details. The observations made in 1998 are also summarised in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 6 May 1998.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HKM 14-26, 72-6.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049864.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 538.
---Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 374.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service