|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Burnt flints and multi-period prehistoric worked flints|
Fieldwalking undertaken in 1987 as part of the Fenland Project identified several scatters of prehistoric worked and burnt flint. The worked flints including pieces of ?Mesolithic, Early Neolithic, Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age and ?Bronze Age date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6905 1020|
|Parish:||SHOULDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
14 October 1987. Fenland Project fieldwalking.
Good weathered soil, wide spaced rows of onions. Several sites identified:
Site ??? (Context 1).
General spread of flints across gravely sand ridge. Small scatter of pot boilers of which only one noted.
Site SHD AW (TF 6913 1012; Context 2).
No concentration other than Context 3-4 but small group of worked flints. These flints included two regular, patinated blades of possible Mesolithic date, a Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age chisel arrowhead (TF 6910 1005) and a ?Bronze Age step-flaked scraper.
Site SHD 13 (TF 6903 1014; Context 3).
On spine of ridge with gentle slope to north. Sparse concentration of flints with one or two possible prehistoric pottery sherds. Max dimensions 49m N/S x 21m E/W. The flints appeared to be of Neolithic to Early Bronze Age date and included an Early Neolithic leaf-shaped arrowhead fragment and a Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age 'thumbnail' scraper.
Site SHD 14 (TF 6898 1032; Context 4).
On south-facing slope of ridge above peat-filled channel. Sparse concentration of 'pot boilers'. Max dimensions 30m N/S x 28m E/W.
Finds held by NCM. For further information see project archive (S1) and final publication (S2).
R. Silvester (NAU) 15 October 1987. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 24 November 2013.
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- LEAF ARROWHEAD (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- THUMB NAIL SCRAPER (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- TRANSVERSE ARROWHEAD (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Silvester, R. J. 1988. The Fenland Project Number 3: Marshland and Nar Valley, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 45. |
Related records - none
Find out more...