|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Great Raynham|
The medieval church that stood here was referred to as the Great or Martin Raynham Church. However, the current church on this site was built in 1866-8 by the Rector Charles Phayre and the fifth Marquess Townshend using Norman shafts in the chancel and old monuments. Of these monuments visitors should pay attention to the well-carved set of Hanoverian Royal Arms and the tomb/Easter Sepulchre of Lady Townshend that dates to 1499.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8797 2554|
|Parish:||EAST RAYNHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|RAYNHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
T. Martin, writing in around 1740, calls it Great or Martin Raynham Church. He notes a square tower, south porch and also a stair doorway with inscription over it.
(S1) adds nave, two aisles 'north of church and chancel a dormitory but no monuments'.
Rebuilt in 1868 reusing Norman shafts in chancel and old monuments. See for comparison (S2).
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).
See photographs (S3-7) in Norfolk Aerial Photograph Library.
Until at least late 1997 the church had what appeared to be an early one-handed clock. However at some date between November 1997 and November 1998 this was replaced by a standard clock.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 November 1998.
In 1499, Lady Townsend ordered that an Easter Sepulchre be made on top of her tomb.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 December 2000.
Five new church bells installed to complete the peal of eight bells begun in 1868.
See (S9) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 29 January 2010
Before 10 November 2004. Casual find.
Medieval sherd and roofing tile fragment.
Medieval/post medieval vessel handle.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 8 December 2004.
Before 11 November 2006. Found during grave digging.
Middle Saxon sherd and post medieval window came fragments.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 4 November 2006.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CAME (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. Family passion for church highlighted.. 1 March. |
|---||Leaflet: 1988. The Church of St Mary the Virgin, East Raynham.. |
|---||Leaflet: East Raynham, Church of St Mary the Virgin.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk..
S. Massey (NLA), 20 April 2001.. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. |
|<S3>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 8825ABL. |
|<S4>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF8825/ACB - ACD, AK; TF8725/ACB - ACC. |
|<S5>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF 8825ACE - ACF. |
|<S6>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8725/ACE - ACF. |
|<S7>||Aerial Photograph: TF8725 B-D, P, Q, S-T, AV, AW, AZ, ABA, ABF, ACJ; CUCAP LF 27-30. |
|<S8>||Article in serial: Fawcett, R.. 1982. St Mary Wiveton.. Antiquarries Journal. Vol LXII. p 56. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2002. Ringing out a full peal of bells - at long last. 28 June. |
|2369||Part of: Raynham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...